The Seventh String
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another string question.

+5
Tele
StillStephen
Trevor
bfloyd6969
Melodeous
9 posters

Go down

Another string question. Empty Another string question.

Post by Melodeous Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:44 pm

I've been using D'Addario EJ-16s and EJ-17s for years now. I have tried a few other brands but it seems I always come back to this one. I have to stick with .012s on this cedar/rosewood Focus concert. The D'Addarios are cheap and give pretty good performance. One thing I do is change strings about every 2 weeks, or whenever that new sparkly sound starts to go away. On a cedar top it sounds nice. On a spruce top it can be somewhat harsh initially so I will leave them on a spruce top guitar longer. I think some folks call that settling down, or settling in. But, on this cedar top that new sound just makes me smile. Anyone else have a similar cedar topped guitar? If so, what have you decided was a good set of strings to your ears? Thanks.
Melodeous
Melodeous

Back to top Go down

Another string question. Empty Re: Another string question.

Post by bfloyd6969 Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:00 pm

I don't have any cedar topped guitars, but I am finding that Elixir Nano's 80/20 (coated) keep that initial sparkle you are referring to for longer than two weeks. I actually just got a trial set from Elixir in 80/20's and they seem to be holding that brightness even longer. May be something to look into...

Or, I have also read that GHS Bright Bronze are some pretty bright strings, but I haven't tried them personally.

bfloyd6969

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:18 am

I agree with bfloyd. I have a Taylor 310ce and I go back and forth between Elixir Nano 80/20 and D'Addario EJ-16s. I like the Elixers more because as B. said, they last longer while keeping their bright tone. I probably can get a month out of them while playing almost every day. Also, I have a spruce top so even after they loose their brightness, they still sound great. They seem to give off a fuller sound where the EJ-16's seem to be a little more bright and tinny.
Last time I was at my local music shop I saw that D'Addario had a 'coated phosphor bronze wound' set. I was thinking about trying them out.
Trevor
Trevor

Back to top Go down

Post by StillStephen Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:02 am

I have a new cedar/rosewood Cascade series guitar and I am just working through string options. So far my favorite are the D'Addario EJ11s. I prefer the sound/feel of the uncoated strings even thogh they probably don't last as long. I have a few other 80/20 choices I want to try in the near future.

StillStephen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tele Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:32 pm

Hey Melodeous,

I use EXP 16's on all my guitars including the Cedar topped ones. I have to admit, that after the first six to eight hours of actual playing time, it's hard to tell the difference between whatever strings I use. Just my opinion.
Tele
Tele

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkBradfordMusic

Back to top Go down

Post by Melodeous Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:16 pm

Thanks for the replies all. Tele, your statement about losing the sparkle regardless of brand/type after X-number of hours was also my experience but I didn't mention it above thinking maybe it was just me. I have used the coated strings and for some reason - feel of the poly-razmataz, who knows - I stayed with uncoated. Also, my limited logic keeps telling me any coating on a string is a form of attenuatation. Nothing wrong with being wrong, though, so maybe they'll at least save on fingernail wear. Thanks again, all.
Melodeous
Melodeous

Back to top Go down

Post by bfloyd6969 Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:54 pm

Give the GHS Bright Bronze (uncoated) a try...

bfloyd6969

Back to top Go down

Post by Melodeous Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:34 pm

Hey, I forgot to mention your mentioning of this brand. GHS makes these great nickel wound classical guitar strings (their Set# 2510) with a wound third (G) that are about the best classical strings I've ever used. Dang things n-e-v-e-r tarnish. Of course, I'm using them on a less than stellar classical guitar (Yamaha CG110CE) but even Savarez couldn't pull the G string sound out of the other room like this set can on that guitar. I'll try the Bright Bronze on this Focus and let you know.
Melodeous
Melodeous

Back to top Go down

Post by ragtime man Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:02 pm

When I owned a cedar top guitar I found the EXPs 16s seemed to bring out the best tone to my ear. Now on my Chris Proctor Taylor I have had the same Nanos on it for over a year. Yes they should have been changed long ago but the Nonas give it less the the high end that Taylors seem to be noted for and the old strings give the blues and ragtime stuff a bit more of what I hear when I play an old CD of someone from the 30s-40s.

However, I will be changing them in the next couple of weeks once I unpack everything and find whick box I put them in for the move.

My old 46-47 LG-2 Gibson doesn't do well with any coated string and seems to sound more like an old blues machine with 11s on it from Martin. I don't remember which Martins but I keep the olde box so I can go get a couple more sets. I notice they loose there ringing sound after about 2-3 weeks and then need to be replaced.
ragtime man
ragtime man
ragtime man

Back to top Go down

Post by MandoSquirrel Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:19 pm

StillStephen wrote:I have a new cedar/rosewood Cascade series guitar and I am just working through string options. So far my favorite are the D'Addario EJ11s. I prefer the sound/feel of the uncoated strings even thogh they probably don't last as long. I have a few other 80/20 choices I want to try in the near future.

So, I'm curious; i've only recently seen reference(since this forum started) to the "Cascade series guitar", and have no idea what it means. What's a "Cascade series guitar"??

I don't see it on Breedlove's site.
MandoSquirrel
MandoSquirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tele Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:43 pm

Here you go Mando. Courtesy of Mac.

Tele
Tele

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkBradfordMusic

Back to top Go down

Post by gtrbill Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:20 am

I've always used D'Addario EJ-16s and EJ-17s on my Breedloves. I like the feel and the tone right out of the box. They seem to hold that "new" sound for quite a while.

For my Martins I've always stuck with Martin strings. I've gone through quite a few types over the years and generally fall back to their Marquis.
gtrbill
gtrbill

Back to top Go down

Post by Omegaman Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:42 am

That is one bad arse jumbo man. A ton of guitar for the price. The build quality looks excellent from a distance. Dang. That gave me some major GAS too dudes.

I've been using D'Addario EXP 16's for the most part.
Omegaman
Omegaman
Admin

https://7thstring.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by StillStephen Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:58 am

Mando, the Cascade Series was introduced at NAMM this year. It falls in between the Atlas and American Series. All solid wood like the American, but made in Korea with a dovetail neck joint. They are due in stores in April. The three from NAMM (OM, D and J) were picked up by MacNichols. I bought the OM after hearing it played at MacNichols during a gig featuring Breedlove. They will have cedar tops (although the NAMM D has a spruce top). I found the Cascade to have better overall projection and sound acoustically compared to the Atlas Series. The price point is a few hundred less than the American Series. The label on my OM states "Atlas Series, Cascade OM model". It'll be interesting to see what the production model labels will state.

In addition to the above video, there are more from NAMM and being played at MacNichols on their website forum under "wood guitars".

StillStephen

Back to top Go down

Post by MandoSquirrel Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:35 pm

Okay; I hadn't kept up. not realizing Mac apparently had a "fill in" forum going between our old forum & this one.
MandoSquirrel
MandoSquirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down