Hung Up or Hung Down?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hung Up or Hung Down?

13% 13% 
[ 1 ]
87% 87% 
[ 7 ]
 
Total Votes : 8

Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by NW Harry on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:37 am

So, not to get too 60's on everyone... which way are you hung... when attaching your capo?

I use a Shubb capo and always clip it over the top of my neck as I believe it does not interfere (as much) when playing a Bar chord etc. at the first fret. My partner attaches his from the bottom of the neck.

I am obviously hung down. How about you? (And remember, this is a family forum!)

Another interesting point about attaching a capo is its proximity to the fret. I attach mine as straight (North-South) as possible and as close to the fret (1/8th"?). Being that I play a 12-string a lot, I am always concerned about the capo pressing down evenly on all the strings. Attaching it straight makes me believe that each string has the best chance of being correctly in-tune. That's even more of an issue, especially with a 12-string, when a capo is positioned at a higher fret e.g. 5th.

-NW Harry
avatar
NW Harry

Posts : 15
Join date : 2011-03-16
Age : 68
Location : Salmon Creek, WA (Vancouver)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by gtrbill on Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:15 pm

I've had good luck with G7th capoes. I also attach over the top of the neck, "North-South", parallel with the frets. I get a cleaner sound wit the capo close to the fret.

Theoretically I don't think the angle of the capo should affect the tuning. The string breaks over the fret and that would determine the length. But, theoretical or not I still feel with the capo straight I have a better chance of being in tune.
avatar
gtrbill

Posts : 86
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 66
Location : Northwest Suburban Chicago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by Melodeous on Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:03 pm

From the top and midway between the fret wires. I want it as far away as possible from my hand. I also use a Shubb. I bought a Planet Waves NS Lite, based on some testimonials, but find it to be weak across the trebles if attached in the same manner as above. I have to crank that little thumb screw to get adequate tension on it. That's with .013-.056 medium strings. The Shubb is bullet proof.
avatar
Melodeous

Posts : 29
Join date : 2011-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by MandoSquirrel on Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:30 pm

I started using Shubb 30(?)+(?) years ago, and got the message somewhere, somehow that they were supposed to be worn open side on high strings, so that's how I've always used them, and now my G7 also.

_________________
Elrod's mandolins:
Breedlove Cascade(available)
Gibson A2 1920(?)
Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
Victoria, B&J, New York stolen Crying or Very sad
Eastwood Airline Mandola


Guild D-25NT guitar
1957? Vega model 200 Archtop
avatar
MandoSquirrel
Moderator

Posts : 259
Join date : 2011-02-21
Age : 63
Location : SW Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by Tele on Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:51 pm

I'm a shubb guy, but I dont use a capo much. I tried the G7th, and didnt like the size or the wieght.
I hang mine down to keep it out of my way. And like Melodeous, I dont put it right next to the fret for the same reason. I think it depends on the capo, but you should look carefully at the radius as it matches the guitars fingerboard. Though I hang mine down, it really looks like the radius of the capo should work better up. As my friend Rags says, I could be making it all up.
avatar
Tele
Moderator

Posts : 138
Join date : 2011-03-02
Age : 58
Location : The Windy City

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/MarkBradfordMusic

Back to top Go down

Re: Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by Tom Bombadil on Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:54 pm

Open side down for me. Highest tension strings at the top and I want the part of the capo closest to the fulcrum point to be nearest these. And for what it's worth...Rags told me to make it up as I go. < grin >
avatar
Tom Bombadil
Moderator

Posts : 150
Join date : 2011-02-21
Age : 56
Location : 44°36'29"N 94°04'49"W, US

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by Melodeous on Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:02 pm

Made up or not, hooking it over the top makes it a one-hand operation. Leaves one hand free to..to..wait for the other to attach the dang capo.
avatar
Melodeous

Posts : 29
Join date : 2011-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by MandoSquirrel on Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:10 pm

Tele wrote:I'm a shubb guy, but I dont use a capo much. I tried the G7th, and didnt like the size or the wieght.
I hang mine down to keep it out of my way. And like Melodeous, I dont put it right next to the fret for the same reason. I think it depends on the capo, but you should look carefully at the radius as it matches the guitars fingerboard. Though I hang mine down, it really looks like the radius of the capo should work better up. As my friend Rags says, I could be making it all up.
I didn't care for the G7 on first try, but I guess I've gotten used to it. I probably wouldn't pay as much again, but go for the shubb if I were buying again, though the G7 really is one hand friendly.

_________________
Elrod's mandolins:
Breedlove Cascade(available)
Gibson A2 1920(?)
Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
Victoria, B&J, New York stolen Crying or Very sad
Eastwood Airline Mandola


Guild D-25NT guitar
1957? Vega model 200 Archtop
avatar
MandoSquirrel
Moderator

Posts : 259
Join date : 2011-02-21
Age : 63
Location : SW Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by Portland Rain on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:19 pm

Shubber hanging down. I keep it as close to the fret as I can get without it deadening the sound. I had a kyser and didn't care for it. Upside down keeps the fretting hand from moving freely for me.

PR
avatar
Portland Rain

Posts : 35
Join date : 2011-03-06
Age : 51
Location : Beaverton, OR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by Tele on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:24 pm

Portland Rain wrote:Shubber hanging down. I keep it as close to the fret as I can get without it deadening the sound. I had a kyser and didn't care for it. Upside down keeps the fretting hand from moving freely for me.

PR

Clarification for the old guy? Well not as old as O-man.
avatar
Tele
Moderator

Posts : 138
Join date : 2011-03-02
Age : 58
Location : The Windy City

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/MarkBradfordMusic

Back to top Go down

Re: Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by Portland Rain on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:36 pm

Having the open end on the top stops my hand from chording comfortably in open positions. Something about the part that wraps around the neck hits the knuckle on my left hand so I have to move my fretting hand into an unnatural position. I just tried it again, and fretting a B7 chord for instance is a pain in the ass. Less crap in the way with the open part hanging down.

Omegaman is only as old as he... ah nevermind, he's old.

PR
avatar
Portland Rain

Posts : 35
Join date : 2011-03-06
Age : 51
Location : Beaverton, OR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by MandoSquirrel on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:39 pm

Kyser : I was trying to think of the name; ugly with a capital UGH!. I wouldn't have one of those unless someone gave it to me free, and then I'd never use it in public!

_________________
Elrod's mandolins:
Breedlove Cascade(available)
Gibson A2 1920(?)
Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
Victoria, B&J, New York stolen Crying or Very sad
Eastwood Airline Mandola


Guild D-25NT guitar
1957? Vega model 200 Archtop
avatar
MandoSquirrel
Moderator

Posts : 259
Join date : 2011-02-21
Age : 63
Location : SW Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by WileE on Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:10 pm

I have a bunch of capos in various cases and places. My favorite is my G7th Celtic. It works and it's pretty. It hangs down.




avatar
WileE

Posts : 54
Join date : 2011-03-13
Age : 58
Location : High in the mountains of California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by Tele on Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:21 pm

Melodeous wrote:Made up or not, hooking it over the top makes it a one-hand operation. Leaves one hand free to..to..wait for the other to attach the dang capo.

lol! That was funny!!!!!
avatar
Tele
Moderator

Posts : 138
Join date : 2011-03-02
Age : 58
Location : The Windy City

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/MarkBradfordMusic

Back to top Go down

Re: Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by Omegaman on Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:07 pm

I believe this comment is a violation of a new Rule that reads, "Under no circumstances will anyone be able to cast disparaging remarks towards O-Man regarding race, age, handicap, playing ability, lack of estate plan, love life or lack of, athletic prowess, or sneakers he wears". Tele you have crossed the line, as has Mr. Rain. The board, me and Ragtime Man, will review this case and suspend all rights to texting me your sickness for 3 days until a decision has been made. Thank you.

Portland Rain wrote:Having the open end on the top stops my hand from chording comfortably in open positions. Something about the part that wraps around the neck hits the knuckle on my left hand so I have to move my fretting hand into an unnatural position. I just tried it again, and fretting a B7 chord for instance is a pain in the ass. Less crap in the way with the open part hanging down.

Omegaman is only as old as he... ah nevermind, he's old.

PR

_________________
"Fame is but a fruit tree"
Nick Drake


Phoenix, Northwest, Ed Gerhard calendar, C12 calendar, C25-12W
avatar
Omegaman
Admin

Posts : 164
Join date : 2011-02-20
Age : 59
Location : Chicagoland U.S.A.

View user profile http://7thstring.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by Tele on Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:48 pm

Well, then it doesnt apply. It's not "disparaging". Wait, can the truth be disparaging? Let me check with my friend at D and B. She knows all this stuff.
avatar
Tele
Moderator

Posts : 138
Join date : 2011-03-02
Age : 58
Location : The Windy City

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/MarkBradfordMusic

Back to top Go down

Re: Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by Omegaman on Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:58 pm

Tele wrote:Well, then it doesnt apply. It's not "disparaging". Wait, can the truth be disparaging? Let me check with my friend at D and B. She knows all this stuff.

And THAT, was a low blow. No

_________________
"Fame is but a fruit tree"
Nick Drake


Phoenix, Northwest, Ed Gerhard calendar, C12 calendar, C25-12W
avatar
Omegaman
Admin

Posts : 164
Join date : 2011-02-20
Age : 59
Location : Chicagoland U.S.A.

View user profile http://7thstring.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by Tele on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:41 am

Omegaman wrote:
Tele wrote:Well, then it doesnt apply. It's not "disparaging". Wait, can the truth be disparaging? Let me check with my friend at D and B. She knows all this stuff.

And THAT, was a low blow. No

Nah. Just playing. Mando and Rags are much older! Razz I like TB's reply to another post; "Thats why they're still my friends."
avatar
Tele
Moderator

Posts : 138
Join date : 2011-03-02
Age : 58
Location : The Windy City

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/MarkBradfordMusic

Back to top Go down

Re: Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by MandoSquirrel on Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:56 pm

Ehh? You say something sonny?

_________________
Elrod's mandolins:
Breedlove Cascade(available)
Gibson A2 1920(?)
Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
Victoria, B&J, New York stolen Crying or Very sad
Eastwood Airline Mandola


Guild D-25NT guitar
1957? Vega model 200 Archtop
avatar
MandoSquirrel
Moderator

Posts : 259
Join date : 2011-02-21
Age : 63
Location : SW Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by Tom Bombadil on Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:46 am

Tele wrote:
Omegaman wrote:
Tele wrote:Well, then it doesnt apply. It's not "disparaging". Wait, can the truth be disparaging? Let me check with my friend at D and B. She knows all this stuff.

And THAT, was a low blow. No

Nah. Just playing. Mando and Rags are much older! Razz I like TB's reply to another post; "Thats why they're still my friends."

Don't drag me into this Tele. I refuse to be a part of a thread where Omegaman's, MandoSquirrel's and RagtimeMan's ancient and gnarled roots are brought into the light. No sir, count me out. They are my friends and I intend to have no part in any efforts to connect their long ago birthdates with moments in forgotten history that are barely footnotes for the youth of today. Nay Tele, you should cease all such attempts and instead embrace the wisdom they have gained through so many and almost countless journeys of these travels of ours around the sun called years. It almost feels like you were throwing me under the bus to protect yourself but I know that you would never do such a deed.
avatar
Tom Bombadil
Moderator

Posts : 150
Join date : 2011-02-21
Age : 56
Location : 44°36'29"N 94°04'49"W, US

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by WileE on Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:33 am

Tom Bombadil wrote:
Tele wrote:
Omegaman wrote:
Tele wrote:Well, then it doesnt apply. It's not "disparaging". Wait, can the truth be disparaging? Let me check with my friend at D and B. She knows all this stuff.

And THAT, was a low blow. No

Nah. Just playing. Mando and Rags are much older! Razz I like TB's reply to another post; "Thats why they're still my friends."

Don't drag me into this Tele. I refuse to be a part of a thread where Omegaman's, MandoSquirrel's and RagtimeMan's ancient and gnarled roots are brought into the light. No sir, count me out. They are my friends and I intend to have no part in any efforts to connect their long ago birthdates with moments in forgotten history that are barely footnotes for the youth of today. Nay Tele, you should cease all such attempts and instead embrace the wisdom they have gained through so many and almost countless journeys of these travels of ours around the sun called years. It almost feels like you were throwing me under the bus to protect yourself but I know that you would never do such a deed.

Did you just have one of your LOTR marathon days? Very Happy
avatar
WileE

Posts : 54
Join date : 2011-03-13
Age : 58
Location : High in the mountains of California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Run ShadowFax and show us the meaning of haste!

Post by Tom Bombadil on Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:13 am

WileE wrote:
Tom Bombadil wrote:
Tele wrote:
Omegaman wrote:
Tele wrote:Well, then it doesnt apply. It's not "disparaging". Wait, can the truth be disparaging? Let me check with my friend at D and B. She knows all this stuff.

And THAT, was a low blow. No

Nah. Just playing. Mando and Rags are much older! Razz I like TB's reply to another post; "Thats why they're still my friends."

Don't drag me into this Tele. I refuse to be a part of a thread where Omegaman's, MandoSquirrel's and RagtimeMan's ancient and gnarled roots are brought into the light. No sir, count me out. They are my friends and I intend to have no part in any efforts to connect their long ago birthdates with moments in forgotten history that are barely footnotes for the youth of today. Nay Tele, you should cease all such attempts and instead embrace the wisdom they have gained through so many and almost countless journeys of these travels of ours around the sun called years. It almost feels like you were throwing me under the bus to protect yourself but I know that you would never do such a deed.

Did you just have one of your LOTR marathon days? Very Happy

Ummm...well sort of, two weeks ago tomorrow to be exact. How did you know? < grin >
avatar
Tom Bombadil
Moderator

Posts : 150
Join date : 2011-02-21
Age : 56
Location : 44°36'29"N 94°04'49"W, US

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by MandoSquirrel on Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:55 pm

WileE wrote:
Tom Bombadil wrote:
Tele wrote:
Omegaman wrote:
Tele wrote:Well, then it doesnt apply. It's not "disparaging". Wait, can the truth be disparaging? Let me check with my friend at D and B. She knows all this stuff.

And THAT, was a low blow. No

Nah. Just playing. Mando and Rags are much older! Razz I like TB's reply to another post; "Thats why they're still my friends."

Don't drag me into this Tele. I refuse to be a part of a thread where Omegaman's, MandoSquirrel's and RagtimeMan's ancient and gnarled roots are brought into the light. No sir, count me out. They are my friends and I intend to have no part in any efforts to connect their long ago birthdates with moments in forgotten history that are barely footnotes for the youth of today. Nay Tele, you should cease all such attempts and instead embrace the wisdom they have gained through so many and almost countless journeys of these travels of ours around the sun called years. It almost feels like you were throwing me under the bus to protect yourself but I know that you would never do such a deed.

Did you just have one of your LOTR marathon days? Very Happy

Never pass up a restroom, never trust "flatulence", & ... what were you saying? Speak up, I can't hear you!

_________________
Elrod's mandolins:
Breedlove Cascade(available)
Gibson A2 1920(?)
Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
Victoria, B&J, New York stolen Crying or Very sad
Eastwood Airline Mandola


Guild D-25NT guitar
1957? Vega model 200 Archtop
avatar
MandoSquirrel
Moderator

Posts : 259
Join date : 2011-02-21
Age : 63
Location : SW Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by ragtime man on Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:40 am

Portland Rain wrote:Having the open end on the top stops my hand from chording comfortably in open positions. Something about the part that wraps around the neck hits the knuckle on my left hand so I have to move my fretting hand into an unnatural position. I just tried it again, and fretting a B7 chord for instance is a pain in the ass. Less crap in the way with the open part hanging down.

Omegaman is only as old as he... ah nevermind, he's old.

PR
If moving your hand into an" unnatural position" when using the capo is causing you "a pain in the ass" I suggest you might want to discontinue doing this. "Less crap in the way with the open part hanging down"" as you say would be a good reason to stop doing it the other way also. No one needs more crap when working with a capo.
ragtime man
avatar
ragtime man
Moderator

Posts : 45
Join date : 2011-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by Portland Rain on Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:32 pm

cheers

Good one Rags.

PR
avatar
Portland Rain

Posts : 35
Join date : 2011-03-06
Age : 51
Location : Beaverton, OR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hung Up or Hung Down?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum