The Seventh String
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NGD -- Breedlove Limited Edition C20-SMYR

5 posters

Go down

NGD -- Breedlove Limited Edition C20-SMYR Empty NGD -- Breedlove Limited Edition C20-SMYR

Post by HAMFIST Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:52 pm

NGD -- Breedlove Limited Edition C20-SMYR 1016952_10201808210346629_803925466_n
#14 of 24 made with unique burst finish and stained maple neck instead of plain maple. Also has the iMix system, which is also not common to the rest of the Oregon series.

I WAS NOT IN THE MARKET for a guitar. But while I was waiting for my daughter to come out of her piano lesson at Hartland Music, the guy running the guitar department handed it to me. And it was as if the Guitar Tone Seraphim shone a light upon it from on high. AMAZING instrument. I traded a Larrivee L-03WL in without hesitation.

Even with the action as high as it is right off the wall of the store, it plays beautifully. And the tone. THE TONE! TONE FOR DAYS. Strong fundamental, kind of laid back and full. But then there are a bunch of midrangy things going on all over the place ... all dark and woody sounding. It is very articulate and full fingerpicked lightly. But when you hammer on it a bit with a flatbpick, it stays loud and fat with a cool high end edge. Sounds like a vintage Martin with a bit of a modern compressed tone.

Played it plugged directly into a Fender Passport PA there at the store. Sounded like a guitar -- no fancy preamp stuff or anything like that. So many guitars need a lot of tweaking to sound good. Not this one.

The owner at Hartland Music cherrypicked this and a few other Breedloves at the NAMM show. It went up on the wall earlier this week, and the new guy running the guitar deparment there handed it to me while my daughter was in her piano lesson. I was one of three guys looking at it in earnest.

And as I was in there this morning working my deal, I was just in time to buy it out from under this other guy who came in to do the same thing as me. I let him play it for a while, and pulled off another guitar from the wall to jam with him. Nice enough guy. His house burned down, and while they are rebuilding it, he is renting a place a few blocks from me. So we'll see how it goes. Maybe we'll be on the back deck jamming soon.

Will be shaving some off the bottom of the saddle. Other than that ... AMAZING. I have bought too many guitars site unseen over the internet and lived to regret it. Always looking for that $700 wonder that would fulfill all my dreams. My Larrivee OM-03MT is a rare exception -- a very solid blues guitar that will remain on the scene. Traded the Larrivee L-03WL on this Breedlove.

HAMFIST

Back to top Go down

NGD -- Breedlove Limited Edition C20-SMYR Empty Re: NGD -- Breedlove Limited Edition C20-SMYR

Post by MandoSquirrel Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:22 am

Welcome aboard. "Myr" would be myrtle back & sides? I tried a couple of Northwest Classics at Guitar Center a few years back; LOVE myrtle sounds!
MandoSquirrel
MandoSquirrel

Back to top Go down

NGD -- Breedlove Limited Edition C20-SMYR Empty Re: NGD -- Breedlove Limited Edition C20-SMYR

Post by HAMFIST Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:07 pm

MandoSquirrel wrote:Welcome aboard. "Myr" would be myrtle back & sides? I tried a couple of Northwest Classics at Guitar Center a few years back; LOVE myrtle sounds!

Yeah -- it is a very fat sounding wood. A lot o the tone comes from the design, of course.

I wonder what the total set of differences are between this axe and the reguler one, though. So far I know there is the sunburst top, brown dyed maple neck, gold hardware and the iMix system.

HAMFIST

Back to top Go down

Post by MandoSquirrel Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:26 pm

I don't know the answer, but that's a nice looking guitar.
MandoSquirrel
MandoSquirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Omegaman Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:54 pm

I saw this guitar on the AGF today. It is stunning; I really love it. The store owner picked a beauty and so did you. I have a Northwest and the myrtle wood sounds as good as any rosewood, walnut, or cocobolo guitar I have (most of them). Congratulations on a gem. Is that bad boy made 100% in the USA; is that the same as "crafted in the USA" like it says on the website?
Omegaman
Omegaman
Admin

https://7thstring.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Bombadil Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:36 am

That is one really elegant looking guitar.  Thanks for the pics and great story/description.  I started to feel sad for the poor dude who's house burned down.
Tom Bombadil
Tom Bombadil

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtdiver1976 Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:54 pm

Anyone out there previously own one of these? Specifically #8 of 24? I'd love to talk to the former owner, I have some questions about it.

dirtdiver1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum